Pages

Sunday 25 January 2015

Getting on With My Work - With Pomodoro



Process and Pomodoro

Wiser and more knowledgeable about how to tackle the difficulties I’ll undoubtedly come across, I had started the process of preparation. There were times when everything that was ahead of me felt daunting and scary, but I could hear little Barbara whispering to my ear “Focus on the process, not the product”. 

So I marched on.

Of course, there was no way to get through this experience without coming across one of the biggest challenges I face when facing difficult tasks - procrastination.

I am pretty sure if there was a survey, this one would win as everyone’s greatest obstacle leaving the second contender far behind! 

But that’s not what made a true difference to me.
It’s what I learnt at the course about procrastination that it is not my own character flaw. In fact, it is so common and happens so often to so many people that it’s a recognised phenomenon. 

Procrastination is the natural way we react to something unpleasant. Our brain simply does what it’s good at - it deals with the situation it perceives as pain by switching its attention to something pleasant. 


The cure for it is so simple - Pomodoro technique. You have to set the clock to 25 minutes,  remove all distractions and simply start chipping away that troublesome material. Follow by 5 minute break and reward yourself somehow: stretch, browse web, check email, make a cup of nice tea or press fresh juice. Then, get back to work.  

The beauty of the technique is that there can really be no excuses not to try it. And once you try it - it’s there to stay. 

Everyone can focus for 25 minutes on the subject at hand and sometimes it’s that initial step that’s needed to get the wheels in motion. I have been using Pomodoro form the moment it’s been taught and I am thrilled with the results. I go through things much easier and get much more done. 


After learning about procrastination through the lens of habits we develop, I gained better understanding of it and can now think how to avoid: the cues, routines and rewards, but above all the underlying beliefs that led to procrastinating in the first place. In fact, one of the strongest beliefs I had was that “this is too hard” or “this is not my thing”, but now I know better. As Henry Ford said: "Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot -- you are right!"



(image source)

I started applying Pomodoro to other areas of my life, like housework chores and it’s been equally successful  (sshhhh, no one said chores have to be 25 minutes long too.)

As a side bonus, and not insignificant one, my son had already seen me with the timer on the desk and had asked me what it is for. I’m setting a good example and the benefits of the course are already spreading!