Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Loving My Brain

Some of my notes



I could not imagine better preparation for the job interview than "Learning How to Learn" course which has armed me with deeper understanding of how my brain works, and how I can both utilise it and take the best possible care of it.

Here are some learnings from the course that brought instant wins.


Sleep 
Knowing that during sleep my brain is capable to clean itself from the toxins accumulated during the day, while at the same time enhancing my learning by figuring out things I’ve learnt is fascinating. 
Ever since the beginning of the curse, I have made every effort to have more regular sleeping pattern. I sleep much better and so much more than at the beginning of this course, which has been crucial for the preparations for the job interview. 

Modes of thinking 

The brain has two different modes of thinking, focused and diffuse one, and it also needs to switch between the two of them in order to fully grasp some new and difficult ideas and concepts. 

This realisation had put an end to my thinking that at the times of intense learning, any periods spent not focusing are wasted. I am now more in tune with the need to switch to diffuse mode of thinking (and back to focused too). My hobbies, taking a walk or even just taking a shower suddenly got “added value”. The brain is processing something all the time.


Learning how to use focused and diffuse thinking modes when writing has been particularly useful for finishing this assignment. 
In short - when writing, it is not a good idea to edit at the same time. This is because critical, focused mode gets in the way of the creative, diffuse one thus interrupting the flow and the two activities should be done separately. 

While writing this blog I used the opportunity to monitor my own progress when I prevent Focused Critic from getting in the way of the Diffuse Creator. It was much better when I was only writing, instead writing and correcting at the same time.

Another win!



To Tests, Job Interviews… and Beyond
Yet another powerful message from the lessons about learning and passing tests can be easily adapted to my situation and the wait for the the job interview.  

It is related to the brain’s fascinating ability to interpret our reality the way we choose to define it - basically, the story you tell yourself about why you are stressed makes all the difference.

In another words,  I can use even stress to work for me, not against me. I’ve mentally reframed my stress about the job interview and instead of thinking “This interview has made me stressed” I now tell myself “This interview has made me INSPIRED to learn more and to surprise myself.”